Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Sofia's Unicorn Birthday Cake 

A few weeks ago we celebrated Sofia's 9th Birthday.  This year Sofia asked for a unicorn cake.  I said  "great, I can make a round cake and put eyes, hair and a horn on it" but she starting shaking her head "no". 

She said "I want a 3D cake and I want the whole body".  Really? No way was this going to work, a unicorn cannot stand up on those thin legs and the head would be too heavy and I don't want to deal with structures.  So I thought about it a bit and came up with a unicorn laying down and the head reading on the legs.  

The cake was chocolate with vanilla buttercream. The legs and head were rice krispies.  I will take any excuse to make rice krispies, I just love them. As I put the pieces together and carved it out, my husband and I made fun of it. "it looks like a dog" now it looks like chicken legs.  This went on all day because really, the cake looked awful. i even apologized to Sofia a few times and she told me "that is OK mom, I know you tried your best".  She knows me so well.  It all began to change when I added the first layer of fondant.  

No comments:

Double Gate Fold

I tried this double gate fold card for a friends birthday. I used stampin up 12x12 cardstock sheet of paper for the base. You can also use a...